Nature Walk

My friend, Laura, was sharing with our ladies prayer group last night and her thoughts really spoke to my heart.  She was almost exclaiming how tired she is of suburbia.  Laura has such a longing for God to use her mightily alongside of her husband.  She longs to be out in nature, even on the top of a mountain and be able to open her arms wide and proclaim....everything....to God.  Though she struggled to make sense of the deep longing in her heart, those of us women in the room felt it, too. 

I was particularly convicted because God has been stirring my heart about how I spend my time.  My days are a joy to my soul.  I am living in the freedom of doing what I love each and every day.  I have the privilege of watching my husband begin a new job that he finds so much passion, purpose, and meaning in.  Together, we are honored to serve God and teens. 

Yet there are times when I know in my heart I haven't made the most of my day.  Like Laura was sharing, I don't want to wake up when I'm 80 and say, "How did I spend my days?  What a waste."  So today I decided to cut out some of my usual distractions.  It's embarrassing to admit that I often schedule my work outs, cleaning, and fixing dinner around TV programs.  For instance, I go to the gym at 9 or 11 so that I can watch "Live with Regis and Kelly" or "The View".  Or, I'll fold the laundry at 4 when "Oprah" is on.  I'm not saying any of this is bad, I'm saying it's distracting

A couple ladies shared last night that they really find God in nature.  That hit home, hard.  I often spend my days indoors because I love, love, LOVE being in our apartment so much.  But as I considered where I live, I am truly blessed.  Our apartment complex is pretty much a mini paradise.  We are surrounded by woods, trees, and pretty flowers.  There are sidewalk paths that wind all over our town.  We also have a beautiful pool, also surrounded by trees and woods.  It's all very serene. 

So thanks to Laura, the ladies, and God's leading, I went for a Nature Walk this morning.  What an incredible way to connect with God.  Each step I just reveled in God's creation and in the beauty of nature.  I could feel God's peace and love bursting in my heart so strongly,  I wanted to hug a tree or something.  There was a moment where my eye caught site of a beautiful, bright, red bird and my heart actually skipped a beat as I realized that the site of that pretty bird was a gift from God to me. 

I'm happy.  I am reminded, and a bit remorseful that I don't always give God the chance to move in me and bless me the way He so desires to.  Thank you for today, God, and thank you for nature. 

5 comments:

gretchen said...

Good for you, Abs. I have always found it is more difficult to make the most of your days when your schedule is more open and free. You don't feel the need to prioritize as much, so a lot of time can be wasted. Thanks for the reminder. Enjoy the beautiful days.

Lisa said...

you know I find God in nature :) I was "re-filled" with my country living this past weekend in Pennsylvania, and I actually asked God (as I stood at the top of the hill on my Grandma's farm overlooking the rolling hills) if God would help me "find" Him in suburbia, because I too long for nature and I always feel like He's so much more "visible" there.

dubbe said...

oh no, my babe is turning into a tree hugger. haha, j/k. I love praying while walking in nature. Unfortunately, I haven't taken the time to do that lately.

JZ said...

that kind-of convicted me as well. I remember those walks I used to take across campus to class every morning at Liberty and the joy I got from having the leaves from the trees fall in my path. It was my daily morning prayer walk, and now that I am a year out I haven't had one of those since. I'm going to have to start prayer walking the Bike Trail behind my new condo. Thanks for reminding me :]

The Owl said...

I read this awhile back and it is something I think about from time to time as well, that I need to be wise with my time and sometimes that means taking some time out to take a walk with God! I hope you are still enjoying your nature walks!