Half-Full

I don't really get in to New Years Resolutions.  Goals overwhelm me, and make me feel like I'm failing.  Chuck really gets in to setting goals and is motivated by them.  To each his own.  I am feeling daunted by all the things in life I'm not doing well.  I'm sure that's a normal "new Mom" issue, or even a "Mom issue" in general.  Maybe not, but I suspect I'm not alone.

The great news is, Jase is 4 months old and doing beautifully!  He is growing like crazy, right before my eyes.  Often lately I find myself saying, "This is the last time you'll be squeezing into this outfit!"  During our  2 1/2 week Germany trip he grew out of three outfits I had packed for him.  He is wearing 6 month clothes, with some 9 month things- heading quickly into full-time 9 month attire.   And by the time we got home, he no longer fit into the size 2 American diapers I had.  Thankfully, I was able to mail the 25 leftovers to a dear friend whose baby can still squeeze into size 2's.   Jase is giggling and "talking", which just lights up my heart.  When I ask him questions, sometimes it actually seems like he's "answering" me.  He is one happy guy.

I find myself being very challenged by my little son.  He is constantly smiling, giggling, and just all-around happy.  Even when he hasn't had sleep, or when he's really hungry, he still smiles at me.  Watching him has really been teaching me that I need to smile when I'm not feeling good about my circumstances.  The littlest things stress me out, and make me cranky.  When I'm tired, I get cranky.  When I'm hungry, I get cranky.  I hate that about myself.  I really want God to create in me a spirit of thankfulness and joy- no matter how I am feeling.  Chuck and Jase both see the glass (or bottle, if you will) as half-full, and I  really want to join the optimistic team!

1 comments:

Mrs. Schaefer said...

Friend, you are NOT alone with these feelings! Being a mama is seriously the most self-less thing you can be, in my opinion, and really, besides Mrs. Duggar with her 19 kids, I've yet to find a mama who doesn't feel at some point the exact same way as you do. And that woman's just nuts!