Resurrection Power

(L) My friend, Dan (R) Jamie

Allow me to introduce you to my dear friend, spiritual mentor, and former Pastor, Jamie Miller! If you read the post, "Sweet Things" a few weeks ago by Gretchen Miller I suspect by now you're connecting the dots they are husband and wife! They are so dear to me. God used them to help shape my heart understanding of who Christ is, and how He loves me. They serve college students (and any person they meet at any age!) through Consumed Ministries. Jamie is also the author of the great book, "Fully Alive".  I'm honored to share Jamie's words with you today.

***
I currently have one tattoo on the inside of my left arm. If I ever decide to give that tattoo some company I already know what I would have permanently inked into my skin. Most followers of Jesus I know that have a faith-based tattoo have some form of the cross as either the entire art form or part of it. I obviously appreciate the cross and will celebrate the victory from sin and access to God as Father as a result of Jesus’ sacrificial death this Friday. But if I were ever to get another tattoo (relax mom – no plans are in the making), I would have an open tomb. I haven’t given the specifics of this tattoo much thought beyond it simply being an open tomb. There may be some clouds involved or possibly the word VICTORY on top of the artwork.  I don’t know. I just know that for me, the open tomb represents the completed work of God. Not only did Jesus end the grip of sin on humanity through His death, He defeated death and gave us the hope of our own resurrection on Easter morning.

 
John, in the eleventh chapter of his Gospel, shares the story of Jesus standing outside of Lazarus’ grave, who was one of Jesus’ closest friends. Jesus was heartbroken over the residue death left on all those gathered at the gravesite. Included in this crowd of mourners was Lazarus’ sister, Martha. Martha loved her brother very much. She even told Jesus that He could have prevented this tragedy if He would have showed up in time. A few more sentences were exchanged between Jesus and Martha and then Jesus offers this amazing statement to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.” This is such a powerful truth! Jesus didn’t only say He can be resurrected or that He can resurrect someone. He claims TO BE the resurrection and the life. HE holds the power of resurrection. And then in a few short minutes later Jesus backs up that claim and resurrects Lazarus from the dead right then and there in front of everyone.

 
I can empathize with Martha in this story. I too have stood at the gravesite of my sibling several times. I remember specifically the first time I stood in the German Ridge Cemetery next to Penny’s grave. It was a few short days after her death in 2010. I remember it being a cold, February morning in southern Ohio. The snow was beautiful but the chilly wind eerily reminded all of us that death arranged this appointment. So where do you turn on a bitter day like that one? What can provide any kind of hope when your heart has been ripped out of your chest as you look at your nephews and nieces missing their mommy and see the pain of a mother and father burying a child? The promise of Easter morning is where you fix your gaze. You close your eyes and imagine the warming sun on your face as you quietly listen to hear Jesus proclaim, “I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.”

Jamie and Penny
I could write of the many theological implications of Easter and why they are so important. I could elaborate on Paul’s words to the church in Corinth written in 1 Corinthians 15. But for me, Easter is special because I know that since The Resurrection and the Life rose from the grave on that Sunday morning long ago, I will see my sister Penny again one day. I will see her face, hear her laugh, and reminisce of our times together here on earth. Each time I go back to the German Ridge Cemetery I remember that Easter morning is coming. Death does not have the victory.

On the inside of my arm that one tattoo I have is the Greek word “paroikos”. This tattoo was done at Saint Sabrina’s in the Minneapolis neighborhood of Uptown around Easter of 2010 to honor Penny’s life. If the open tomb tattoo ever did become a reality it would be done on the outside of that same arm. I could look at one side of my arm and remember the life my sister lived. But greater yet, I could look on the other side of that same arm with hope because one day we will be reunited again through Christ’s victory over the grave 2000 years ago.  That is the hope of Easter morning. This is why I celebrate.

Jesus has overcome


And the grave is overwhelmed


The victory is won


He is risen from the dead

 

And Penny will rise when He calls her name

No more sorrow, no more pain

She will rise on eagles' wings

Before her God fall on her knees

And rise, She will rise

 

Christ Tomlin – “I Will Rise” - modified



1 comments:

Julia said...

Jamie's account of losing his sister and of his hope in seeing her again because of Easter moved me to tears. How heart wrenching is the death of a loved one! Still, as believers, even in the midst of grief, pain, and loss, we have hope. Thanks for sharing his words.