Old Friends

It has been an incredible gift to have girl friends in my life, some of which I have known for over 20 years.  My first friend (that I am still close with) is probably my cousin, Heather.  I'm sure I must have met her within my first year of life.  She stood up with me at our wedding, and I'm really grateful for her.

Amber is another one of my oldest friends. (I don't mean she's old!)  I can still clearly remember the very first time I met her.  We were both 10 or 11, and were sitting in a choir class at our church.  Amber was sitting next to me and proudly announced, "I have 52 brothers!"  I remember thinking to myself, "OH brother.  She thinks she's so cool!"  =)  Amber's parent's were dorm parent's at BBC, which was the college across the street from our church.  Whenever we got together, I would be so anxious if we played in her home.  I had such a fear of walking into a GUY'S dorm where females were not allowed.  I was convinced I would get into big trouble by walking into the dorm before I reached Amber's door.

Later her family moved to a different dorm, which was for families, so I was relieved.  One afternoon after school we went back to her place where her parents had been secretly keeping two puppies.  We played with those two puppies and had the best time.  What could be more nostalgic than two little girls playing with puppies?!   Turns out, those puppies basically grew up with us.  (I'm so happy to finally have my own pup!)

So that's a little bit about how Amber and I began.  We are now in our 30's (GASP!) and she visited us several weeks ago.  I actually started this post right after she was here, but keep getting delayed in posting because of random things.  Anyway, while she was here we had the best time!  (In my opinion at least.)  There is nothing like spending time with old friends.  It gets so tiring meeting new people so much, and always talking about the basics.  I wonder if anyone else feels this way?  The older I get, the more difficult it is to make those close connections with new people.  And the older I get, the more I cherish those moments with my dear old friends.  One night Amber and I stayed up till at least 1am chatting- I can't remember the last time I did that!



The same week Amber visited, I also got to see two other old friends.  Meet Kristi and Mandi.  I met Kristi when I was just 10 years old after we moved to NEPA.  I don't remember when I actually met Mandi, but we became good friends when I went through one of the most painful things of my life.  Mandi was there for me in a way that no one else could have been.

Both Mandi and Kristi were at a conference just 40 minutes away from us, so I met them for dinner.   We stayed in our little booth at Buffalo Wild Wings until 10 that night.  It was a blissful time of laughing hysterically, catching up on our lives, and diving straight to the depths of the deep stuff.  You can do that with old friends.

That night I learned some new things about myself.  We talked a lot about personalities.  It was freeing for me to learn that just because my personality is different from someone else doesn't make me less Godly.  Usually when I analyze my personality I feel that I can not measure up.  But that night I started to realize I can embrace who God has made me to be- my emotional, dramatic, feels-life-deeply, sensitive, compassionate, and whimsical personality.


They really are all such beautiful women, and I am blessed to call them old friends.


0 comments: