Abba. Papa.

The song I posted last week has been the theme of my heart in a deep and unexpected way. When I lie awake, “Abba” runs through my mind. When I wake up in the middle of the night, “I belong to you” has been dancing through my thoughts. The phrase, “You’re closer than the skin on my bones” has been bursting in my heart. JESUS!



I feel chills on my arms as I acknowledge His presence as closer than the skin on my bones, not just as close. It’s such a tangible illustration. So greatly impacting. To understand Jesus is inside me dwelling and abiding fills me with a feeling in my heart I struggle to express. It’s like I can physically feel something new there.

God brought this song into my life at the exact perfect moment. It was on a morning when I felt completely wrecked. I was getting ready for the day while the kids were in their respective rooms for their own rest times. There are days when my time in the bathroom for showering, and doing my make-up and hair are anything but peaceful, but I strive to make that routine intentional. A time where I can pray for people, connect with Jesus, and worship Him through listening to songs on Pandora. On this particular day my mind was a mess of thoughts- all tangled up like a large ball of rubber bands tied together with no hope of ever coming unraveled.

Until the brand-new-to-me song floated across the air. “Abba”. I stopped what I was doing as soon as the song ended and looked it up on Youtube. I needed to hear it again. And again. And again. God used it to speak volumes to me through a few simple words.

Our kids call Chuck, “Papa”. It’s the German title for “Dad”, and since Chuck speaks only German to the kids, it’s fitting. It took me awhile to get used to referring to Chuck as “Papa” to the kids as I had no prior experience with the title. Now when I hear my babies call out, “Papa!” it shoots warmth through me like hot coffee on a cold afternoon. The name Papa is endearing. It’s welcoming. It’s warm. It’s comforting. It’s strong. It’s safe. It’s good.

Jesus is my Papa! Another name for Abba or Daddy. Papa God. So sweet. So gentile. But so fiercely strong, protective, pure, and holy all wrapped up into one title. Listening to the song, “Abba” has showed me how in love with Papa Jesus I am. The song is my melody to Him. It opens my heart to receive Him as my deepest love, and to want Him even more.

I feel ravenous sometimes. I have a strong desire to hear from Him through the Scriptures. When I’m (rarely) in the car by myself, I want to blast Bethel Live music so I can worship Him through singing. I am soaking up books about Him, and messages from others about Him. Chuck and I talk about Him, and desire Him more together. I need Papa Jesus so badly.

Just five short months ago I prayed the simple prayer Beth Moore prompted listeners to pray at the Living Proof Simulcast, “Jesus, crack my heart open to a romance with you.” That’s ALL it took. I meant it, and He took me seriously. My heart is cracked, and there’s no turning back.

This is nothing of my own doing. Nothing at all. If you find yourself with even a hint of wanting something more with Abba- Papa Jesus, ask Him. He will draw you in like you’ve never known. 

Does anyone else feel particularly moved to Jesus by a certain song, author, or speaker? Do share- I always enjoy a good recommendation!  

***Back in January, Beth Moore started speaking on TV every Wednesday night. Since we don't get the station, I have been watching online here:   Beth Moore on TV The simulcast I referred to was split into 4 increments and aired for 4 weeks. Start with "Audacious, Week 1" for some powerful fuel for your soul! I'm thrilled and so thankful I was able to hear those messages again.




1 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post and love that song as well. I love that He is rocking your world and blowing your mind and we never get to the end of that. Intimacy can be difficult and costly but so worth the journey. Let's not ever quit! Hugs to you, my friend. (And I also love their song called endless ocean)