Joseph

Sunday morning brought shocking news. I found out through a friend about the passing of a guy from our youth group back when we lived and worked in Virginia. Joseph was a Sophomore when we first started working with the youth group, and we had the privilege of watching him graduate.

Joseph was nothing short of a stand up guy. If I had to pick a teenager I'd want my son to be like, Joseph would be at the top of a very tiny list. He was a gentleman through and through. He was a leader. He worked really hard, and could be counted on. He was respectful- the kind that opened doors, picked up trash off the floor, and reached out to younger students. His actions showed his love for Jesus.

I remember Joseph volunteering in the Awana program- serving the little kids with a smile on his face. He was admirable. I'd have been honored to have him work with my children. He was genuinely kind to even me- a lowly youth volunteer! He took the time to notice things about me, and was quick to share a kind word. He really was the sweetest. I remember one time he said, "I noticed you commented to every person who wrote 'Happy Birthday' on your Facebook page- you didn't just write the mass 'Thanks for all the birthday wishes guys!'." He observed that as something special, and let me know about it. I've always remember that comment for some reason. It was so kind.

Finding out about his sudden, unexpected death has impacted my heart in a way I never saw coming. It's not like we kept in contact on a regular basis, but I feel the loss of him. I ache for Joseph's family- his parents, little sister, and older brother. I ache for his fiancé who lost the love of her life. You can see their engagement photo session here: http://hsmithphotography.com/joe-katelin-engaged/ They were a beautiful couple, ready to start the next chapter in their life together.

This loss sits in my heart. It occupies my thoughts. There's been this ball of emotional pain just sitting in my chest. How could this have happened? Why did God allow this? And why Joseph, of all people? He was only 22 years old. About to graduate from college. About to get married. He was apart of the military- a true honor to our country. I struggle to make sense of it all.

The beautiful hope and knowledge that Joseph is sitting at the feet of Jesus is the only comfort there is. The only comfort there can be. Joseph is with Jesus, but he is deeply missed on this earth.

Joseph & Katelin- Joseph's current FB profile picture

1 comments:

Unknown said...

So very true Abigail. You said it so well. I also don't understand some things but rejoice that his eternal destiny is with the Lord and Savior of the world, Jesus Christ.