One Thing Costs Everything

The story of our engagement really started almost exactly a year ago. Last spring Chuck and I both lost our grandfathers. Though we didn’t know each other yet, we were grieving the serious loss in the same way at the same time.

Chuck’s grandfather’s wish was that each of his grandsons (5 boys including my man) would inherit and divide up his gun collection. This left Chuck with two valuable guns, both monetarily and especially sentimentally. My baby loved those guns! His chest puffed out a little farther, and his grin got a little wider any time the topic of those weapons came up. I seem to even recall him asking my brother on a man date to go shoot their guns together some time. Chuck was proud of his guns, and proud to be the owner of his grandfather’s prized possessions.

Several weeks ago, Chuck informed me that God provided a way for him to buy me an engagement ring. I was pleasantly surprised by the news, eager to hear what God had done. Without hesitation, my man proclaimed, “I am going to sell my guns.” Stunned, I immediately protested and informed him there HAD to be another way. In true Chuck fashion, he informed me that in fact, it was NOT my decision. His mind was made up.

“If I don’t sacrifice anything for your ring, what value does it have? If I charge it on my credit card, what did it cost me? I want your ring to cost me. I want to sacrifice blood, sweat, and tears otherwise; it’s just a piece of jewelry and means nothing. My grandfather would be happy knowing that his guns are on your finger.”

As he scouted out gun stores in the area, he came in contact with one particular man who shared with him that there would be a gun show the very next day! The gun show only comes to this area once in a blue moon, and it “just so happened” to be that weekend! Off to the show he went, and sold were the precious guns from his grandfather.

Just a few short weeks later, my man walked out of a jewelry store, my custom made ring in his pocket for the EXACT amount he had sold the guns for.

If God is for us, who can be against us??

Stay tuned… =)

10 comments:

y2krust said...

I'm sure he needs a woman a whole lot more than he needs a couple guns! ;-) Cool story, Ab. I can't wait to meet Chuck in a few days!!!

y2krust said...

Oh, oops . . . I never said CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...desperate to love as God loves... said...

awww...teared up :-)

Anonymous said...

Your story brings tears to my eyes! That is a GREAT story. I love you and I feel so honored to be in your wedding!

Anonymous said...

sorry I forgot to say the previous comment was made by Heather! LOL

Bethiesthoughts said...

Abs, I can just hear chuck saying that he needs to shed blood and tears for you. It sounds like a beautiful book that God has been writing for you your whole life oh wait He has. I love you and can't wait to meet the man God has found for you. :)

Anonymous said...

How romantic! This story should turn into a book, I love it! I am not a reader as you know, but I love reading what you write. :)

Kylene Bak said...

Congratulations Abby! Such a beautiful story. I liked the line about how Chucks grandfather would be glad that his guns are on your finger. But you have to add some close ups so we can see the custom made ring!
hugs kylene

Heidi said...

Awesome story Abs! Congrats again!!

Anonymous said...

What a great story. The love he has for you sounds incredible!