A Little Fuzzy

This is not an instance where I can say, "It all happened so fast."  It was actually a pretty slow process, most of which I remember quite clearly.

As you know, I had another sinus procedure done this past Wednesday.  Thank you to those of you who prayed for me.  It was something that scared me so bad, and hung over my head tremendously.  I was absolutely dreading the procedure.  I don't care what is done to me when I'm put to sleep. But, when I'm awake and things are being done inside my body, I freak out.  I was praying a whole lot, and did experience peace, but not peace like on the day of surgery.  For some reason I felt like the Wednesday procedure was my cross to bear.

Anyway, per instructions, I ate breakfast before my appointment even though I felt so sick to my stomach and really didn't want to eat a thing.  Since I was supposed to take Percocet before the procedure, I had to eat breakfast.  Toast, apple sauce, and half a banana were all I could tolerate.  Are you getting my point that I was very careful to eat and very careful to follow the instructions?  Well, I was because I did not want to be the girl that ignored the instructions and ended up getting sick all over the doctor's office because of it.  No sir-ee, I was a good little patient and ate my breakfast then swallowed the legal narcotics.

So Chuck and I arrived, and I read, "31 Days of Praise" by Ruth Myers (a wonderful gift from Candy that has been such a God-send to refresh my soul this past week) in the waiting room while he read an article in Life Magazine about the high suicide rate in Europe (depressing!).  Our wait was fairly short before we were taken back to the exam room.  After talking with the nurse, we had another short wait until Dr. Doyle came in. (AMAZING doctor if anyone is in need of a fantastic ENT- more on her later.)  Once she arrived, I apologized in advance (in case I started acting odd) because I was starting to feel a little fuzzy due to the meds.  She answered all my questions (I'm doing fine, my recovery has been normal, and I can finally drink out of a straw again!).

Then she sprayed the medicine up my nose that helps numb inside.  (In my experience, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, hence my terror.)  Her advice is to always keep my head down so I don't have to taste it (really nasty) and so it doesn't numb my throat (really scary).   I did just that while Chuck and I were led to the next room where the procedure would be done.  We sat next to each other on some chairs while the nurse prepped the tools.  Ick.  (Might I just interject here that seeing the nurses set up the tools is so creepy.  I can't watch because I get all freaked out about what tools are being set out, and what they will be used for.)

As I have already  mentioned, I had started to feel fuzzy in the first exam room.  As more time went by, more symptoms were added.  My limbs started to feel warm, my shoulders felt tingly, and I very much enjoy myself in that state.  Nice and relaxed.  But then my vision started to be spotty and blackish, followed by a cold sweat that made me want to rip off all my clothes right there in the middle of the room without a care of who was around me.  Then I thought I was about to lose the breakfast I hadn't even wanted to eat in the first place.  I gave Chuck a running commentary as each new symptom hit me, until I finally said, "I think I'm going to pass out..." That's when everything went black, but I could still hear.  I felt myself slump forward towards the floor, and heard Dr. Doyle arrive just at that moment.  Chuck was already holding me, and the two of them somehow hoisted me up onto the exam table.  My whole body was limp, and there was nothing I could do.

As I laid there, I could feel the Dr. and nurse taking care of me.  I could hear everything they were saying, but my body was a lifeless blob.  I remember Dr. Doyle saying, "You're alright, everything is just fine." and I thought, "I really like this lady..."

2 comments:

Laura Siegrist said...

wait, so what happened then? it looks like the rest of the story got cut off! i was totally into this dramatic tale of your health ;) i have my own stories of passing out and all that. glad you're ok though! i don't always comment since sometimes i don't have 2 hand free to type, but i do like reading your blog!!!!

Laura Siegrist said...

oh i guess it didn't leave my whole name on there... it's Laura Siegrist in case you didn't know ;)