Celebration of the Arts

(I wrote this on Saturday, but didn't post it.  Chuck found it on the laptop and said he enjoyed it... so... thought I'd share.)

Last Thursday night I attended an event called, "Celebration of the Arts".  I received the invitation through my writer's group.  We were instructed to bring a piece of our art- anything we had written- that we were proud of.  I was a little nervous since I don't feel like I have done anything substantial with my writing in a long time.  But I ended up choosing to bring the magazines containing the last two articles I had written.  When I arrived people were placing their art pieces on a display table, so I laid out the two magazines.  It was a pretty cool feeling.  There were paintings, drawings, pottery, photographs, and then my art- writing.

I have thought to myself and said many times out loud over the years that I wish I had a talent.  I've always wished I had some skill I was good at.  I watch my husband create, and use his creative mind for all kinds of projects.  I have wished so often I could be like him!  I have wished I was able to create something beautiful to give as a gift.  Many of my friends can refurbish furniture, or are amazing at DIY projects, or can make cards, jewelry, clothing- the skies the limit for those kinds of artists.  Recently I even went to Michael's to look around and see if there was anything I could make to give away as gifts this Christmas.  It all felt extremely daunting to me.  I don't have the kind of mind that can picture something and create it, even though I really, really wish I could.

Back in October I joined a ministry called, "Infused Arts".  My particular group in this community is called, "The Write Space".  As the weeks have gone on I've learned that "Infused Arts" is simply artists coming together who are infused by the Holy Spirit, and create for Him.  These artists are inspired by Him and for Him.  As I participate in this creative community I am experiencing the presence of God more and more through my writing.  I have always known God has put this art of writing inside me.  Even as a young child writing was apart of me, but it has never seemed like a talent or a skill.  It's just been a part of me.

On Thursday night I was able to celebrate the gift God has given me as a writer with other artists who affirmed my gift.  I got to stand up, share about my articles, and celebrate how God had led me to write them.  Then I was privileged to see the pieces of art others created and got to hear their stories.  God was infused all over each piece of art whether written or visual.  It was beautiful!  So beautiful!  And surreal.  I have never been apart of anything like it.  Experiencing God through people's art was stunning.  Inspiring.  I was in awe, and still am.

It has been so exciting to embrace anew the gift of writing God has given me, and to be learning that He has a unique purpose for it.  For me.  He has created me with this gift, and wants to use it for His glory and His kingdom.  Really, me?  As Jase would say, "Woooow!"

Today I am at a Writer's Retreat, surrounded by others writers, and I find such strength and inspiration from their stories.  Their journeys as writers.  I'm finding a community of artists I can relate to, and connect with over our passion to write.  It's amazing.  It's like something inside me has begun to crack open, and I'm just beginning to realize what God could do through me using the written word.  It feels so good to be understood in this passion.  It feels so good to dust off my fingers, start to declutter the cobwebs of lies that have tangled themselves around my mind, and begin to see myself as a woman who has a voice that can only tell a story from my perspective.  A perspective only God could give me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, It's Beth. I'm one of the writers and also an artist. (I showed my colorful lamb pastel art the night you shared your published articles.) Luv your blog. The first time deAnn explained that God puts our creative drive into us, I started bawling. I thought my urge to create was just my little time killer....now that I know it's from God, I respect it and create with no guilt feelings. Guilt comes from the evil one.

Full of JOY said...

Awww, that's awesome! Thanks for stopping by, Beth!