Paw Patrol Undies- and how they refreshed my soul.

Last weekend, Chuck and I spontaneously decided to take the kids on a little getaway. We’ve had a long, emotional, and tiring summer so we needed some time together alone as a family. On Thursday afternoon we headed down to VA where Chuck’s family has a house. A long car ride with two toddlers is NEVER enjoyable, but we finally rolled into town and stopped at one of our favorite dives- Cook Out. It’s cheap, it’s yummy, it’s NUT free, and oh yeah, it’s cheap!

Dinner went rather smoothly and my heart was full as I looked around the table and saw all of us enjoying a dinner out. Chuck and I were extra joyful because it was the first restaurant Basye has been able to eat out at due to her allergies! Plus, Jase was doing amazingly well at potty-training and even announced to us during dinner he needed to go. Please don’t roll your eyes- this is a serious victory people! Our table of 4 was cheering and clapping and celebrating like it was Christmas when Jase got back from the restroom!

Eventually we headed out to the family farm- fresh air, land for miles, and a mountain view so gorgeous it’s hard to believe it’s real. As soon as I got out of the car I ran around taking pictures of the beautiful views- it was shaping up to be an amazing weekend away!
 


I wish I could tell you we had the best weekend of our lives. I wish I could tell you we got to rest, relax, and get refreshed. I’m not sure exactly how it happened, but by 10pm that night, things had started to go downhill. Jovie kept growling, putting me on edge. One of the kids refused to sleep, but instead decided to wreak havoc in the bedroom. This led to waking up the other kid with both of them screaming and crying. It took until 10pm to get everyone settled and asleep. Night 1 was a bust.

I did not sleep well, and when I got up Chuck was already stressed out with the kids. They were getting into all things fragile, slamming doors, pinching fingers, getting into boxes of candles making a wax mess, messing around with cords and plugs- one of which sounded a loud, obnoxious alarm every time it was touched. I could go on. We survived until nap time, only to NOT have nap time. So much fussing. So much crying. By then, I was totally over our weekend getaway, and wanted nothing more than to go home. I wish I could say I strapped on a smile, chose joy the Jesus-way, but I didn’t. I was exhausted. Done. Over the whole thing.

The next morning we got to work right away so we could finally head home. After several hours of yard work and cleaning, we were on our way- until we got a call saying we needed to head BACK to the house to meet the police because we had made an error with the alarm system. Then when we were one hour from home, we realized we had left Basye’s glasses at the house. A $175 hit, on top of the fact our baby girl can’t even see well without them!
Sigh.

Since we were gone all weekend, I had to grocery shop after church on Sunday. No one likes grocery shopping, especially during Sunday afternoon nap time. But I forced myself out the door anyway. On the way, I felt myself burst into tears as I mourned the weekend I had wanted to have so badly. I beat myself up for not choosing to have a good attitude.
 
 

As I dragged myself into Aldi and began piling stuff into my cart, I saw them- Paw Patrol undies. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Size 2T/3T. They were something I needed, but I never expected to find them there. Tears threatened to pour. Jesus loves me so much! He gave me the Sweetest of Things in only the way an intimate God could. Toddler undies, of all things. Finding them there with characters I knew Jase would be so excited about made my heart soar with joy! Jesus’ amazing love poured out on me in such a sweet way. As if that wasn’t enough, I rounded the corner at the end of the isle and was surprised to see a big display of Aldi’s all new baby line- pouches of fruits and veggies, diapers, and Pull-Ups of all things. Items never sold at Aldi- items I needed! Items that would save me the trip to Walmart, hallelujah amen! My heart had been so dried out from our trip, but those gifts from Jesus were like a flow of streaming water.
 
 
Jesus, you knew. You knew what my heart needed. You knew the most intimate of ways to speak your unending love to my struggling spirit. Thank you, my sweet Jesus.
 
 *** In case you were wondering, the Paw Patrol undies are a huge hit! And do you want to know something else? As I write this, we have one sick Papa and another sick kiddo- the puke I’ve cleaned up should set records. But Jesus is my strength- breathing energy and hope and an uncharacteristically good attitude into me. What happened at Aldi was absolutely the gift I needed to endure yet another difficult time.
Jesus knows. HE ALWAYS KNOWS.

4 comments:

Melody Martin said...

OH man! When I saw you on Sunday, I guess you were just back from your trip. I'm so sorry that it didn't go as expected! Praying that no one else gets sick! And how cool about the Paw Patrol undies and the baby products at Aldi. WalMart is rough. We were just there the other day and passed a woman saying "I hate it here." haha!

Unknown said...

I can so relate Roomie!!!! And I had a sweet moment from Jesus tonight as well. I hate running, but I've taken it up. So going running is always an emotional battle, I do it because I need to exercise and it's basically free. I run with a local running club that costs me £5 which these days is about $5 a year, so not much. I always pray God sends me someone to talk to while running as it distracts me from what I'm doing. Today about a quarter of the way through I started running with a woman whose 4 months pregnant with her first and we ended up having a really good conversation where I got to really encourage and comfort her in somethings she was concerned about. It was something so little but I loved it! I felt truly loved by Jesus because he allowed this conversation to happen during something I'm not always to keen about. God is so good and kind. He does truly love us!! I'm so grateful that you experienced him in the little things as well!!

Full of Joy said...

Haha!!! That's hilarious!! I think hate of Walmart is Universal!!

Full of Joy said...

Roomie!! I am SO PROUD of you for running!!! That's an awesome story, too. Love hearing how Jesus meets us right where we're at!!