Minimalism, by Jill Zavacky

Happy Tuesday Everyone! I am so pleased to introduce you to my friend, Jill. We served teenagers together for three year at our church in Northern Virginia. Not only that, but Jill and I also share a passion for Jesus and writing about Jesus. (Check out her blog here.) Recently she posted a picture on Instagram about how she fit her entire wardrobe into a suitcase. I was impressed, and a little convicted. Please give her a warm welcome as she shares her heart with us today. (You might also want to grab a hot cup of coffee with pumpkin creamer, like I did when I read it! Oh the joys of Fall!)


 
 
 
Some may call my way of life, “minimalism,” but I just call it being faithful with little. 

 
IT ALL STARTED when I moved to my fifth apartment in five years. I was moving from a town house with two roommates into a basement apartment of a family friend, in a house that was already completely furnished. I couldn’t fit half of my things into this new space, and I realized I didn’t really even need any of it. It was then my journey towards minimalism started.

 
I remember attempting to unpack my clothes into this giant walk-in closet, realizing in the process I was holding on to so many things I didn’t even want anymore. I looked around at everything I had and felt so uneasy. There was so much money invested in all of these things I rarely wore or even looked at. All I saw was so much money wasted. At that time, I could barely afford to live on my own anymore. I was drowning in debt, medical bills from a recent surgery, and student loans. But my closet was full and my walls were decorated. I could wear a different outfit every day for a month without repeating anything, but I could hardly even pay my bills.

 
It was in that moment I realized something had to change. At this point it wasn’t only about money, it was also about the principle of the matter. Why did I have so many things I didn’t use or even need? With each insignificant possession I got off of my hands that year, I realized just how much money I had wasted over the years purchasing all of it. I believe having stuff is not a sin. God blesses us so we can be a blessing to others. He blesses us with big houses and a lot of stuff so we can host people in our houses and enjoy our things with them. But I know I must also be faithful with little, and I CAN be faithful with little.

 
Jesus says in Matthew 6:20, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth not rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”

 
Beginning a journey towards minimalism is really just beginning a journey towards the pursuit of Jesus in regards to your possessions. Laying up your treasures in heaven may look different for you than it did for me. The point is not that I got rid of half of my possessions.  The point is not that I’ve come to find contentment with a wardrobe of basics and a house with only the bare essentials. The point is actually that I’ve learned to be faithful with little. I’ve learned to turn to the Lord for my main source of satisfaction, instead of paying more attention to the demands and changes of the culture around me. Style, fashion, popularity, you name it - it all fades and changes, ebbs and flows. But wherever the Lord dwells, there is no destruction.

 
God is permanent. He is constant; He is faithful. And this is why we must store up our greatest treasures with Him alone, and not in our closets. We must align our hearts with where our treasures are found.

 

2 comments:

Melody Martin said...

Good stuff!

dubbe said...

Thanks Jill! Contentment is such a great gift, which I can def. learn from. Abigail said three years, but we actually served 4 years together in student ministry (the first year we were volunteers).