Jesus, You're My Superhero- by Chuck Dubbe

Recently I was sharing with my man that my upcoming guest bloggers will be writing in answer to the question, "Who is Jesus to you?" He jumped on it right away, and volunteered to write the very first guest post on the topic. I am over-joyed to welcome my incredible husband on the blog today. Thank you Babe for supporting my gifts, and helping me thrive in Jesus, even when things might feel scary. I'm your number 1 fan. I love you mucho. (said with an accent)



Jesus, you're my superhero!
 
That’s the name of a song, by Hillsong Kids, that was stuck in my head this morning. Works perfectly for the title of my post. J
 
 

Who is Jesus to me?

Abigail often teases me because I add an accent to ethnic names. Having grown up in Germany, I commonly roll the r, which comes up in many languages. I love Jesus’ Hebrew name – Yeshua HaMashiach. (Try pronouncing the ch as if something got stuck in the back of your throat.) Ab once thought I made that name up, in an attempt to sound Jewish. Haha!

The meanings behind names are important to me. Yeshua or Jesus means “Jehovah is salvation.” Having committed my life to Christ as a child, I didn’t realize Jesus wanted to save me from more than a life apart from God. He invites us into His kingdom (the king’s-domain) to have a rich and satisfying life (John 10:10). “Save” is my new favorite word, which is sozo in Greek (as in John 3:17). It means forgiven, delivered, healed, rescued- all of which are in constant demand here on this earth. Man, I sure need His healing (physical, emotional, and spiritual) and forgiveness on a regular basis.

Mashiach in Greek is “Christos,” which is obviously where we get the word Christ. It means Messiah or The Anointed One having been anointed with God’s authority. Isn’t that so rich? Throughout the Bible when someone is anointed, it shows God’s special favor and blessing on that person. Jesus received special favor from His Father, especially with such a rich and awesome name. I love His name! (Psalm 119:132)
 
 

Jesus Christ is a name to be loved and blessed. Did you know WE can bless Jesus? Psalm 100:4b says, “Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!” Wow! If Jesus likes to be blessed, how much more should we bless each other regularly. We bless You, King Jesus!

His name is powerful and literally life-giving. “But these are written so that you may continue to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.” (John 20:31) The “these” refers to the miracles and testimonies compiled in the Book of John. Jesus gave all His followers (including me and you) the authority and power to do the same the things He did and more, simply by the power of His name (John 14:12-13). That’s remarkable! I’m just now learning to wrap my mind around that goodness.

 I will end with this old praise and worship song, which brought me to tears when I heard it recently. It perfectly sums up what I wrote. We actually sang it in Germany growing up, but it's lyrics didn’t have nearly the significance they have on me today. Jesus Christ means much more to me now, so much more!

 Majesty worship His Majesty
Unto Jesus, be all glory,
Power and praise
Majesty, Kingdom authority
Flow from His throne,
Unto his own, His anthem raise.

So exalt, lift up on high
The Name of Jesus
Magnify, come glorify,
Christ Jesus the King
Majesty, worship His Majesty
Jesus who died, now glorified,
King of all Kings.

2 comments:

Melody Martin said...

I remember singing that song as a kid too! Thanks for posting it. I haven't thought about it in a while. Great post!

Unknown said...

Thank you Chuck! Such a good reminder. It's so easy to forget all I have in Christ and relay on myself for things, but oh the power of Jesus' name!! I pray that I won't forgot.