Who Is Jesus To Me?

Over the next several months, when I host a guest on here, they will be writing in response to the question, “Who is Jesus to you?” Thought it would be fitting if I share my own heart’s answer.  

Would it be too cliché to say Jesus is everything to me? If I whittle it down to my deepest core, I am living because of Jesus. His Father God gave me breath- created my mind, soul, emotions and body, and His Son brought me life. I was destined to live a life riddled with selfishness, anger, betrayal, bitterness, immorality, fear, anxiety, and worry. But Jesus took it all, and paid the price through His death on the cross- for me. For my freedom. (For you, too!)
What astounds me is His Victory over death. Not even death can defeat my Jesus! Right now, in my daily world, Jesus is Victor. Most of the time that means He is victor over the fears and anxieties that plague my mind. I’m afraid of physical diseases on a regular basis. I’m afraid an illness is going to take the life of someone I love. I’ve learned this fear comes out of the fact I cannot control my own health, or anyone else’s health. What Jesus has been teaching me is the more I trust Him, the more I let go of the control I think I have, and the more freedom I live with. It’s counter-intuitive, but it works. Jesus says over and over in the Bible, “Do not worry about anything! Trust in the Lord! Lean not on your own understanding! Do not fear! Do not be anxious! My peace I leave with you, my peace I give.”

Jesus is peace to me. And if His peace is reigning in my heart, I can face the day. If His peace is ruling my mind, I can truly live. I wish I could say the peace of Jesus reigns so strongly in my heart and mind I never have to battle those fears/anxieties anymore. But the truth is, I am regularly overwhelmed with anxiety. Thankfully, I have grown tremendously in this area, but the struggle is still there. What I believe is someday, I will stand completely healed from the disease of anxiety. Whether it happens by a miraculous healing through The Spirit on earth, or through a continual healing process- I will be healed.

 
My desire is that here on earth, I will stand healed. Just like the man in Acts 3-4 who could not walk. God used Peter to heal him, “It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed.” When I can’t seem to find peace from Jesus in a given moment, the peace I have because He reigns on the throne of my life is enough.

Loving and following Jesus in this life never means things are perfect and I’m happy all the time. It means I’m living because I have hope in The One who saved me from myself.

0 comments: