Explosion

“Borne Supremacy”, “The Supremes”, a supreme pizza, a supreme burrito, a supreme being/superhero. Jason Borne is the best at what it is he does- he’s unstoppable. The Supremes are a hugely successful chic band. Supreme foods are loaded with everything imaginable- the best at what they are. A supreme super hero is untouchable. But, our God being supreme?
God’s supremacy is too important, too great to describe. He is greater then any president, any king, any CEO, any leader, any ruler. He is above all, before all, superior to all…and still feels indescribable.
Talk about supreme. Talk about having major authority over everything- visible and invisible. I decided I wanted a cup of hot tea this morning. I filled up my new, shiny teapot with hot water, set it on the back burner, and turned the burner on high. After a minute or so, I changed my mind and started balancing my checkbook first. I turned off the burner, and sat inches away from my stove at the kitchen table. A few seconds later, I hear this loud shattering blast noise, feel an odd sensation wash over me, and in pure reaction duck my head and cry out a scared scream. I was shocked, confused, and quite scared.
I quickly turned around to see what on earth had happened. Surrounding me was shards of glass. Big pieces, little pieces, splintered pieces. The glass was everywhere I looked. Glass was shattered all across my kitchen floor, into my living room, all in the carpet, on one of my couches, all over the stove, counter, kitchen table, and even on the heating vents. I stood there, stunned for several minutes, surveying the damage. Still scared from the blast, and having nowhere to step- I didn’t move.
It finally began to unfold in my mind what had happened. There were two glass dishes sitting on the front burner- one being a 9 X 13 dish. Turns out, I had accidentally turned on the front burner, instead of the back burner when making my tea. In doing this, the glass dish sitting on the front burner got hot, and literally exploded. It was a terrifying realization. I could have been very seriously injured.
I began the cleaning up by slowly sweeping up the glass. At one point I noticed the chair I had been sitting in. The seat of my chair had a ring of glass around it. A ring of glass around where I had been sitting, yet not one piece of glass touched me. Not one. My hand, face, ear, and arm had not even a scratch. Had I been facing the stove, glass would have exploded in my face, no doubt in my eyes. I could very well have gone blind. A terrifying thought that haunts me. I was stunned.
God is supreme. He has control over the universe. That was more then evident today. God protected me from all sorts of harm. I am relieved, and thankful, and in awe of his might. Of his authority- My God has the power to dominate our entire universe- even the glass obeys His command. In everything, my God has the supremacy!

4 comments:

The Meantime said...

If you haven't seen Pulp Fiction, you should.

Eric said...

I feel like i heard this story before!

Laura Siegrist said...

wow! that's amazing! it reminds me of something that happened to me my freshman year at bbc when i was commuting. it was winter and it was snowing. and i was driving down rt. 6. all of the sudden this huge turkey flew out of the bushes on my left and right in front of my car. it was so sudden, i had no time to react. he hit my windshield directly in front of me. glass flew everywhere! and i too instinctively covered my face with my hands...while still driving 50 mph. when i put my hands back on the steering wheel and slowed down, i saw that i was still in my lane, that there were tiny pieces of glass over everything, that the turkey had not come through the glass but bounced off, and that i was not cut at all. it is so amazing how God allows certain potentially dangerous situations to happen, yet protects us in ways that are impossible. i'm so glad you are safe!!!

Scion and You said...

Glad you're ok Abby, and that God was looking out for you. Now if we could only do something about those ditzy tendencies of yours. Just kiddin -- kind of. :)