I Rememer THE DAY!

I have made some new, sweet friends recently while leading a teen girl's Shepherd Group through our church. Inquiring minds wanted to know how Chuck and I met so I shared our story. There has been a request for me to WRITE out the story, and as promised, here I will tell it again. Happily! =)

A little over a year ago I moved to VA from MN. I began attending a church in the area comprised mostly of single, twenty to thirty-something adults called Frontline. The very first night I attended Frontline was the very last night anyone was able to sign up for a Fall Retreat they were having. I immediately went home and signed up! I was dying to get connected, and be involved in that church community. I already had 2 friends that were going, so they made sure we would be staying in the same room.

When I got to the retreat, my 2 friends introduced me to their friends! Low and behold, I met my friend, Katie for the first time. We clicked right away and became "Retreat Best Friends". Of course we talked A LOT about boys that weekend. As I was describing the type of guy I was interested in, Katie stopped on the sidewalk and said, "I know the perfect guy for you! He is a Youth Pastor, he dyes his hair, and he has piercings." What more did I need in a guy?! =)

When we got home from the retreat Katie showed me pictures of Chuck on Facebook. That's when I told her, now I HAVE to meet him! Boy was he gooooood lookin'! I certainly didn't want to pass up a chance with him.

A couple months later Katie was giving Chuck swimming lessons as he wanted to train for a triathlon. While they were doing that, I was slaving away working at Starbucks. As my shift was ending Katie called to ask if I wanted to join her and Chuck for a late dinner. I was instantly THRILLED! But then I realized what I was wearing. Ugh. Work khaki pants, a black work shirt, ugly black work shoes and to top it all off, I had worn a hat all night so I had hat hair! Of all nights to set me up with Chuck! Curiosity (or hormones!) got the best of me and I drove on over to TGI Fridays.

When I walked in the door, Chuck's back was to me. He had on a trendy, stylish hat and an earring in each ear (cartilage) which I had always loved on guys. Once I got to the table, the first thing Chuck did was stand up. He extended his hand and I was stunned. When was the last time a guy was gentlemanly enough to stand and shake my hand? I felt so special already!

I chose to sit next to Katie, across from the terribly good looking boy to have a better view. The three of us chatted the night away! We discussed a variety of topics, laughed, ate, and even shared our hearts. I even mentioned this blog at one point, in hopes Chuck might catch the bait. (He posted a comment the very next day! Whoo hoo!)

We all said our good-byes and I hoped I would hear from him some day. Of course Katie called me the SECOND we were in our cars! We died laughing because she had told me so much about Chuck in advance, but the poor guy had no clue he was being set up!

Little did I know that Chuck went home that night and told his roommate, "I don't know what it is about that girl (ME!), but I have to see her again!" (Ugly Starbucks clothes and all!)

And THAT my friends, is how it all began! =)

6 comments:

dubbe said...

"but the poor guy had no clue he was being set up"... it's a good thing I benefited from the outcome, cuz that statement makes me feel so used. :)

Anonymous said...

lol thanks so much,it made my day :)

jennifercirinna said...

i remember that night! I had been at the house using the computer when Chuck left to meet Katie. I think it might have been that same night or shortly after, I remember him saying that one of Katie's friends had gone out to dinner with he and Katie that night and that she (you) was "so corny". But he said it in a nice way; like almost endearing :) That was almost a year ago, wasn't it??

Katie said...

I love this story.... Sorry Chuck (about feeling used), but I'm not really sorry! And i think it turned out pretty well for you if I do say so myself. Not to toot my own horn but.... tootooot!! :D

jane amos said...

toot toot katie!

didnt know the part about chucks ears, and that katie dragged you from bux to meet them for dinner. however, i guess you woulnt have gone dressed like that if you had known before hand!! just never clicked in my head!! poor chuckles being taken advantage of like that!! ;)

Tricia said...

I am glad I got to read this because I knew very few of these details...that was our good-looking son!