Frohe Weihnachten

This means "Merry Christmas" in German-  a phrase I came to know well.  Christmas day was really quaint, just how you would imagine Christmas day to be.  Lots of snow and all.  First thing in the morning, Chuck shared that his Mom had set out "Kristollen" which is another super yummy traditional German cake thing.  It could be described as a type of fruit cake, but in the States that would be considered disgusting.  Let me just tell you, this was no American fruit cake.  Kristollen is like a dry pound cake with some chunks of yumminess in it.  (Raisins?  Nuts?) Then it's covered with loads of powdered sugar.  Oh happy day. 

Chuck's Mom really is the ideal Mother-in-Law.  I love her so much.  I've learned recently that Christmas happens because of the MOM of the house.  I've seen it with my own Mom, and then I witnessed it with my MIL as well.  She was working all day to make Christmas happen.  From breakfast, to snacks, (She was always whipping some new snack item out of the pantry!  How do Moms do that?!), to drinks, to all the gifts she gave, to making the main meal, to dragging out the left overs later, and then off course, all the clean up.  Whew.  There is so much work to be done for Moms on Christmas day.  They really do make it all happen.  THANK YOU MOM! (And even though I wasn't home, thanks to my own Mama for all those years of making it happen.)

This was my first Christmas away from my family in 28 years.  It really couldn't have been more wonderful.  Opening presents with the family was truly tons of fun.  I absolutely loved seeing what gifts people gave to each other.  I love the thought that goes into each gift.  I guess that's why gifts is my main love language.  Gifts mean so MUCH to me and I enjoy watching others receive gifts.  It shows how much the family loves each other.  Since Chuck and the majority of his family are perfectionists, you should have seen the packages they created.  It's like a profession for them.  Unlike my family, we're ALL about the wonder of the GIFT BAG.

One of my most treasured gifts from Chuck's parents was a gift bag (I think the ONLY gift bag used that day, haha!) full of ornaments.  Each ornament had a story.  I so enjoyed hearing Chuck's Mom describe to us why she gave each one.  Some she hand-crafted (Poor Chuck, his wife does not have crafting skills like his Mother!), some were uniquely German, and some were made by another person.  Oh my soul.  That's right, ornaments that little Chuckie made himself as a child.  My heart just melted to the ground when I pulled out what is now my favorite ornament.  A clear plastic Christmas tree that Chuckie had colored himself, and the icing on the cake- his little Kindergarten picture glued to the front!  I could cry at how cute he was.  It was incredibly sweet, thoughtful, and generous of his Mom to give those ornaments to me.  I will treasure them always.

One final thought about Christmas day.  Tim (one of Chuck's younger brothers who lives in Germany) had his girl friend, (more to come about this topic) Anni join in the festivities with the family for the first time.  It was neat for Anni and I to share our first Christmas with the Dubbes together.  Though there was a lot of German/English translating going on throughout the day, it didn't stop us from growing more in love as a family.  Frohe Weihnachten!

Me, Mom (The Christmas Super Hero), Renate, Anni- the girls! =)
P.S.  The sweater and necklace I'm wearing is from Chuck's oldest sister, Becky.  She has amazing taste!  More to come on her later, too. ;)

2 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks for taking us with you on your trip via your blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying hearing all about your trip!

kari