Write Space

Last Thursday night I attended my first night of a new writer's group.  I was pretty nervous about going.  The naturally shy part of me really wanted a friend to go with.  But I had to put on my brave hat, and venture out by myself.  Before I left, I shared with Chuck that I didn't even know if I had a writer in me anymore.  I wasn't sure if there were any creative synapses left firing up there.  I haven't been apart of an official writing class or group for a few years.  After my grad class, I felt extremely burned out.

When I arrived at the group last Thursday, the leader greeted me immediately and I felt instantly at ease.  She even walked me to the right meeting room.  Describing it makes me feel like I was starting kindergarten, but really aren't we all just little kids inside?  We all still have the innate need for another human to welcome us, be friendly to us, and make us feel connected.

The writer's group was only an hour and a half, and the time absolutely flew by!  I could have stayed for another hour, at least.  We had a chance to work on one writing exercise, then split into partners to share what we had written.  My partner was fabulous!  She really spoke great truth into my writer's heart, and affirmed that I was in the right place.

I am SO excited to go back!  This particular program meets once a week, every other month, so this has made my October a lot of fun so far.

This past week, Chuck started attending a volleyball league.  Writing group for me is like volleyball for him.  Too bad I can't burn calories from writing!  He had a great time, and it makes me happy he has something he loves to do, as well.  I miss doing fun things together, but I'm thankful we have  little outlets that allow us to be who we are outside of our regular routines.

1 comments:

Melody Martin said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. I knew you would! I'm guessing deAnn led the group. She is awesome.