Teen Mama

Yesterday I was chatting with some students while we were waiting for the teen service to begin.  Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a woman with a baby seat sitting at a table.  Upon closer inspection I realized it was a teen girl with a baby seat sitting at a table.  I asked the girls I was talking to who she was, and if that was her baby.  Before getting their reply I was compelled to talk with this girl.  I could not let her sit at the table alone for one more second and told the group of girls I just had to go over and chat.  It was so exciting to me to have a teen Mama visit our church- how very brave.  As I was walking away, one of the girls said, "It's not a real baby..."  What?!  As it turns out, the student with the baby seat was doing a project for a class at school.  It was an electronic baby.

I had a great time talking with "Sarah" about her baby project.  We ended up sitting together during the teen service, and "baby" boy cried several times.  Sarah had to feed him twice with an electronic bottle.  It was humorous, but I was also impressed with the seriousness of the project.  How interesting that someone invented a baby that simulates many of the needs a real baby would have.   Seems like excellent birth control to me.  I was proud of Sarah for brining the baby to the service even though every time it cried, other students would turn around, stare, and giggle.  I even found myself feeling nervous for the "baby" to stop crying!  It was a very odd scenario, and my heart went out to her as if she were a real Mama!  We even talked about how the baby had slept for the past three nights (terrible the first two nights, and great the second night, ha!).  I never would have expected to connect with a teen over her electronic baby, but it was a sweet time none the less.    

In other news, apparently we were stuck in that traffic the other night because of a big sink hole.  It's such a creepy thought, and we're thankful we didn't sink.

1 comments:

Tricia said...

I am glad you are back to regularly posting on your blog. Keep it up! This electronic baby thing freaks me out a little though :)