Non-Christmas Letter

Do single, non-missionary women send out “Christmas” letters? I’ve never received one, but I figure, Christmas is over- so I already missed that mark, and I love writing so why not? I find this letter to be quite funny: me sending out a yearly letter about my family- which consists of me! Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying this in a sad way, I really find it funny. Odd, but funny. What better time to update then on my 25th birthday eve? Here’s a glimpse at my crazy life this past year!

Contrary to my first paragraph, I am really not alone at all. Although it’s difficult to be so far away from my family, I do belong to a family of three out here in MN. My old roommate got married, and my new friend moved in. We have another friend who practically lives here, too. The three of us have a blast together, and have gotten very close. It feels like a party all the time! We all agree that God brought us together in an amazing (and weird!) way.

A big leap of faith rocked my world as I resigned my position as a Consumed Ministries staff member. God lead, and I obeyed. During that time, He opened the door for me to begin taking more writing classes at the largest literary center in the nation- The Loft, in downtown Minneapolis. (Doesn’t that sound so cool?!) It rocks! I love it so much!

I still work at Starbucks as a Shift Manager, full time- to pay the bills. I long for something more and I am praying that God works in that way soon! My fellow “partners” and I are quite bonded though, and I love them dearly. I want them to know God’s love so badly. I did actually become a Coffee Master this year! I get to wear a black apron and everything. It was hard work, and I am so happy to have achieved this.

In terms of my “free time”, I have started taking up drum lessons. It’s been amazing! I have always loved the drums, and have dreamed of learning to play and now God has provided me a way to learn and practice. Some people get weirded out trying to picture me playing the drums, but if you could watch me and see the enormous smile on my face when I play- you’d understand!

Other then that, I have been training for a half marathon, which takes up a lot of time and energy! I’m totally up for this massive challenge; I just can not wait to cross that finish line. To be able to say- I trained, I fought, I ran, I did it! What bliss!

This year has certainly held its fair share of loss, pain, heart ache, grief, confusion, anger, agony, wonder, and trial- but through it all, God has shined his faithfulness through. I am blessed beyond belief, and I think in this, my 25th year of life, I will continue to observe and trust in this truth.

Well, how was that for my first, single, non-missionary, non-Christmas update letter? I look forward to trying this again- who knows? Maybe I’ll send out a Fourth of July update letter? Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday Abby!! 25 is a great year! I enjoyed being 25! I heard lots of people say, "Now your old enough to gain more respect and young enough to still have a good time." I guess I believe that shouldn't change with your age... But hey, your car insurance gets cheaper! Love ya!

kiltsandthistles said...

Happy Birthday to YOU!!! Happy Birthday to YOU!!! Happy Birthday dear Abby!! Happy Birthday to YOU!!! I hope you have another great and God-filled year of life!