Little Christs

where would i be right now if i didn't have so many little Christ's in my life? i am more then blessed- that is how i feel this fine evening. although my foot is hurting me terribly- even after 2 more vacadin, i can't walk, and i slightly feel like i'm gonna throw up- my heart is overflowing with warmth, love, and gratitude.

one of my dearest friends left work early yesterday, drove me to surgery, and literally heald my hand as i moaned and groaned through the tortures of novicane being injected agonizinlgy in my foot. and let me tell you- i wasn't just squeezing her hand- i was gripping it for all i am worth. pretty sure her fingers were purple in the end. she was amazing at talking to me, watching the surgery, but keeping a pure poker face on the whole time. she never made me feel like she was watching something that would totally freak me out!

not only did this rock solid supporting friend endure this with me- but she also shares an apartment with me and has had to live with me! she doesn't even bat an eye to get a bowl for me, fetch me some advil...and then MORE because why the heck isn't it working? or just sitting and listening to how much pain i am in. this friend and roommate is my dear little swznikki- or nicole, for those of you who don't know. swzy is a little Christ.

following my surgery, swzy had to coach, so i was left to the tv and the couch. not a bad place to be. i was instructed to keep my foot elevated and therefore was not able to make myself dinner last night. i was super hungry and at a loss as to what to do. although feeling bad, i decided to call another little Christ in my life- dan. dan jumped at the chance to bring me subway, and he and chuck so kindly delivered it to my door. not only that, but dan came back this morning to bring me my drugs! he stayed and talked with me while i changed my bandages (which turned out to be a little dramatic because there were a lot more incisions and stitches then i had anticipated!). it was so comforting to have a friend to talk with.

throughout the day, i had many other little Christs appear: voicemails, emails, facebook messages, blog notes, my manager working for me tomorrow, and offers to "call if i need anything!" not to mention that swzy drove out of her way to pick up crutches and panera for me!

mmmmm....blessed. i am beyond blessed. through this pain, through this pukey feeling, through the helpless feeling: Christ's body is showing up all over the place....i am surrounded by little Christs and i couldn't be more at peace.

thank you. thank you...

2 comments:

The Meantime said...

I mean this with all my heart, I'm really glad we didn't lose you while you were under the knife.

Eric said...

Abs - I hope you heal fast, and I hope the pain goes away, and if you need anything else, let me know. Love ya.