Really...It Happened!

so here i sit. i don't know what happened to me last night, but i'm feeling much better. on with the story!

as i reflect the evening, what sticks out the most is the moment swzy and i began to decorate our tree. home alone I was playing in the backgroud, which boog was glued to. i just felt the christmas cheer looming in our home. what joy! there's just something about hanging decorations on a tree. it's just a nastalgic, warming christmas tradition that i love.

we have quite an array of beautiful lights strung on our tree. we have golden gopher lights (not my first choice of christmas decor, guess who's they are!), purple lights, (thanks jess!), and dollar store lights to complete the picture. to top it off, we have an enormous bright star that also lights up.

after the tree was adorned, we sat down with warm, homemade apple pie, and continued watching home alone. (boog ate a toffee almond bar because she doesn't like "fruit" pie.) we had all the christmas lights on, and they were glowing warmly in the background. our sparkling pine tart was burning, so we could have the real smell of a pine tree. swzy decided we needed another candle lit, to which i responded, "isn't one candle enough?!" she lit it any way. what does goose know? it was placed under my favorite, tiny, sparkly gold lit tree that my mother gave me. i moved the candle out, because i didn't want the flames to burn my special tree.

we all settled in to continue out movie. out of nowhere, boog says, "something is really burning!" all of the sudden, i bolted of the couch screaming, "my tree!!" and burst over to my precious fake pine, and blew out the candle. it was too late. one of it's poor sweet branches was charred black and the burnt smell of plastic permeated the air. oh the sadnnes. my tree.

swzy looked at the burnt branch, shrugged, looked at me and said, "it gives it character..." and continued watching the movie as if nothing had happened. well i'll be. to which i repsonded, "it didn't NEED character!"

thus the story of the burnt christmas tree. good thing she made me dinner.

1 comments:

the way I see it... said...

i'd like to think i was a little more sensitive then that...but then when i reflect back on the moment, and i realize that i probably wasn't. my bad! you know i love you and your lil gold tree...now you will always think of me on Christmas, even when you're married with 9 kids, you'll pull out the gold tree with a black branch, and think: Swzy!!!