Coke

Dad has been having another positive day of recovery! He went for another "long" walk, which is wonderful. After heart sugery, the lungs can get filled with fluid, especially when sitting in bed all the time. Walking is necessary to get the circulation flowing. My Dad is determined!

My mom got him a Coke today and said he's been talking quite a bit. He also ate a good amount of lunch! This is also a praise because for the past several days, we've just been spoon-feeding him about 3 bites of jell-o. Yay for real food going down, and staying down! Mom bought him an electric razor so she could shave him, too. Yesterday my dad was joking with the nurse about him being "good lookin'". A sure sign he is starting to feel a little bit more like himself.

We find so much joy in these little steps of progress. Seeing any glimpse of my true Dad is so refreshing! He's still got a ways to go in the hospital, but we want him to be completely OK before he's discharged.

His surgeon stopped by at one point while mom and I were out (We were ticked we missed him!). Dr. Bavaria reminded my dad AGAIN how difficult and SERIOUS the surgery was. I kinda got a little ticked and said to my Dad, "Why can't the guy ever say any thing POSITIVE?! We KNOW how serious it was!!" I think it's just upsetting to be reminded how serious my Dad's situation is.

WE THANK GOD FOR THE AMAZING PROGRESS THAT'S BEEN MADE!

What an incredible week for Thanksgiving to take place for our family!

4 comments:

Laura Siegrist said...

does it look like he'll be home for Thanksgiving? that would be so nice i'm sure! i love reading all the updates :)

Katie said...

One word...AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your dad is feeling a little better every day. He sounds like he is getting to be more like himself. Praise the Lord!!! Auntie Sara

Anonymous said...

I hope it was a McD Coke - there's enough carbonation in there to make those big brown eyes bulge! Anyway, it's great to hear he's on his feet and feeling oh-so-much better!