He's OUT!

I feel terrible that I was not able to update you after dad's surgery was over. Our family waiting room closed at 9PM, and we got shifted to the ICU waiting area where there is no internet available.

Dad was in surgery until around 9:30 PM or 10:00 PM last night. It got to be really hard for us waiting there at the end! Finally an ICU nurse came out and we were allowed to go in and see him. It's always such a sad sight. And it's sad to me that I can even say "it's always" becasue of how we've been through this before!

It was a very difficult surgery. (That cracks me up when the doctors or nurses say that. What heart surgery ISN'T difficult?!) They ended up going through my dad's left ribs (EW.) and working on his heart that way. They cut all his ribs, so his incision is rather large on his left side. It looks like a shark bite! For those of you who know my daddy, that will be his "famous" line from here on out! HaHa!

We are absolutely relieved that it's over! The weight that we carried feels so much lighter today. God's peace completely surpassed all understanding yesterday, and it was the most amazing experience. We could all FEEL your prayers in a hugely tangible way. What an honor.

We thank you for praying!

I would ask that you PLEASE continue to pray! This first time I visited my dad this morning, the few words he uttered were "Pray. Pain. Wow." Oh it just breaks my heart that he's in that much pain. They say cutting through the ribs is the most painful heart surgery. He has his own pump for the pain medicine, but he's still suffering. Please pray for the pain to subside to he can rest easy. There's still chances for stroke, for the heart not to function properly and other risks, so please keep praying!

My dad is such a fighter! We are amazed at his strength even now. Last night after his surgery, though he was completely knocked out, the nurse said he had been trying to fight through the anesthesia to wake up! My mom and I chuckled to ourselves. Of COURSE my dad would be fighting!

For the rest of today mom and I will be sitting in the ICU waiting area. We have already met other families in there, heard some stories, prayed for others, and it's very sad. Every situation in the ICU is extremely serious, so we are watching for ways for God to use it!

Right now we are at Starbucks, where I am able to get internet. Once we go back over there, I can not update as frequently. I will do my best to keep posting! Once he's out of ICU, then I can update more regularly!

Again, THANK YOU from my whole family for praying for us. We are overwhelmed and blessed beyond blessed that you would choose to pray for us.

Praise God with us, and keep praying! We are blessed beyond blessed to be loved by such a gracious, loving and FAITHFUL God. I am carrying this song with me...

"Faithful one. Faithful to the end. Faithful. My true and gracious friend. You are faithful. FAITHFUL."

5 comments:

Jamie said...

thanks for the updates abs. give your mom a hug for me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Ab. Great job on the blog. We're praying.

The Owl said...

Yay! i am glad that the surgery went well and is over! i will keep praying for you guys! love to everyone!!!

Anonymous said...

I have no idea the pain that Glen is in. I am sure that it is definitely
not easy. Maybe you can crunch his foot or something so it will take his mind off of his other pain. Ha!
We will be praying for him.Give mom a hug for me. Love, Auntie Sara

Marissa said...

You know, I know you've told me before... but what is wrong with your dads heart? Is it a valve issue? Glad to hear all is going well.

When my brother had his back surgery they had to break his ribs to deflate his lungs and go in from the front, and I remember it was painful for him to laugh, ohhh... and sneezing/coughing, that's rough too.