Day 4: Life as an Addict

You think I am kidding. I am not.

Hi. My name is Abby and I'm a bread addict.

For quite awhile now, one of my dear BFF's, Caleb, has been talking to me about my diet. He has been concerned about my "issues". You all know my issues. Why try to hide it? It's the facts of life, people. Along with him my mom, brother, and sister-in-law have voiced concerns. Fine. So...coached by Caleb, I decided to TRY a new diet (not a lose weight diet, a change-what-I-eat diet) It all started on Tuesday. I had NO IDEA what I was getting myself into!

No bread. No unatural carbs. No sugar. No yeast. No gluten.

This eliminates almost my entire normal diet. I am now consuming lots of protein (mostly meats/eggs/nuts: I am not a meat-girl), vegetables (I've always hated vegetables), and a select few berries. (of which I had been WRONG about ealier today and just about had a melt down when I found out I could not, in fact, eat cranBERRIES)

Unless you've tried it, you have NO BLESSED clue how DIFFICULT it is to give up bread. That takes away my morning bagel, lunch sandwhich, and probably the worst of all, my lattes and coffee with flavored creamer. BAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH. I can not consume soy milk. Eventually I am going to try to introduce dairy back into the picture and see how I do.

No pizza. No pasta. No cookies. No cake. No lattes. No creamer. No grapes. No apples. NO NOTHING. AHHHHHHHHHHH.

I have literally been going through withdrawl. It's absolutely terrible. I get shaky, I get panicky, and boy do I CRAVE. I become evil. I become cranky. I just want to EAT MY BREADS. I'm an addict through-and-through.

The good news: so far, the issues have been minor to NONE. (amazing!) And I have lost 4 lbs! HA! That was a pleasant side effect! (Or a disgusting tribute to how much bread products I consume!) It's been worth it to see how this helps. I still have a few more days until my first complete week is done, and we'll go from there....

So yay. I have a lot more respect for recovering alcoholics.

3 comments:

Chuck said...

Speaking as an unofficial recovering alcoholic, hang in there! I could never give up bread, so I can only imagine how difficult it would be for you!

Lisa said...

Oh Fur... I could give up sweets much easier than I could my breads/carbs. particularly, I can't imagine giving up pizza, pasta and fries--I have a "salty/yeast" tooth, I swear :) I'm so proud of you, and who better for a coach than Caleb :) Keep it up, Fur!!

gretchen said...

Nice work Abs! I, too, am a bread addict and will probably never give it up. But I am glad to hear it is helping you out!!